Saturday 27 October 2012

Older versions of Maya???

Wow, I just opened up the toolset in Maya2009 for the first time in a while and it's not good. There are a few issues that I wasn't aware of. The main AnimUI fails to open because I think there's some extra catches in the newer versions. I knew that none of the MetaData calls would work due to Python2.5 not shipping with the Json module so the question is, do I drop support for 2009/2010 completely or do I keep patching it? The UI call I can fix and there's already a catch in there to warn about lack of Json support. However, without Json the Scene Review will also fail as it relies on metaData to store the dict. Any comments? Red

2 comments:

  1. We wrote a very similar system and we had 2008/2009 and 2012. We dropped 2008/2009 because of python version 2.5x64 being a pain in the butt to update modules and for things like .format, etc...

    I think dropping it in the long run will save you some headaches, and it is really getting up there in years at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've just make some tweaks to the setups so for the time being, 2008/2009 will now run correctly, or in the most part at least.

    There are a few warnings that I've caught and raised, so for example when you try to launch the SceneReview tool I throw a warning and don't raise the UI. Basically I tried getting simplejson package running so I could still offer the metaData support to these versions but just can't get it to run without installing it correctly in the Python environment....doesn't seem to allow you to simply import it as a site-package which is what I need.

    So yes, for the time being the tools run, but the more I do the less testing these earlier builds will get

    Red

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.